Disappointment for Crediton after loss against St Austell

By Crediton Courier Newspaper in Rugby


THE disappointments continued for the First Fifteen’s with this defeat at St Austell and in fairness we only had ourselves to blame.

We had plenty of possession and territory but failed to take advantage and indeed contributed to our own downfall as we lacked the patience to keep the phases going when in good positions.

Whatever could go wrong probably did, although at the scrum and lineout we had no problem whereas there seemed to be a lack of communication outside.

Two of the Saints tries came from our own promising looking attacks but a poor pass gifted them an interception and their No 8 ran virtually three-quarters the length of the field to score.

In another we got turned over on their “22” and they broke away to score.

Obviously, winning is as much about confidence as anything and a succession of defeats has certainly dented that confidence.

However, all is not lost as other results have gone our way and we are not totally stranded alone at the bottom. That said we will have to up our game if we are to pull ourselves out of the relegation spots and where better to start than at home against Tiverton tomorrow (Saturday).


Crediton Seconds travelled to Bideford looking to continue their recent run of form in the Devon Merit Table and the early signs were promising. Crediton were immediately on the offensive and after seven minutes took the lead when a deft kick through the Bideford defensive line by full-back Hayden Hill caught the Bideford defence unawares and he won the chase to touch down for an unconverted try.

Bideford rallied and started to put phases of play together and after 19 minutes they equalised. A poor clearance kick out of defence by Crediton failed to find touch and was easily fielded by Bideford who then ran back through a split Crediton defence to score under the posts for a converted try.

Just before half-time Bideford scored again. With Crediton again camped in the Bideford 22 metres area, putting phase after phase of play together, a Bideford player intercepted a Crediton pass to run the length of the field to touch down under the posts for a converted try, making the half-time score 5-14 to Bideford.

Crediton started the second half strongly and with the forwards easily on top they soon got good field position near the Bideford line.

After 52 minutes the Crediton forwards had several pick and drives before flanker Chis Hooper forced his way over for a try with Stuart Pickard adding the extras.

Again Bideford came back at Crediton and within five minutes they got their third try. A Bideford line-out on five metres out saw them win possession before setting up a strong forward drive over the Crediton line to touch down for a converted try.

Crediton fought back again and after 72 minutes, prop Joe Rees, forced his way over the Bideford line for a try, with Stuart Pickard again adding the extras.

With it now being just a two-point game Crediton were camped in the Bideford 22 metres area looking to get the winning score when Bideford again intercepted a pass to race in for an unconverted try making the final score 19-26 to Bideford.

This was a game that Crediton should have easily won given the amount of possession, territory and forward dominance they had, and hopefully it will give the players a bit of a wake up call.


The Third Fifteen’s produced an excellent all-round display to completely overwhelm Tiverton.

The quality of some of the handling and forward power was, at times, impressive as Tivvy were left chasing shadows.

Playing up the slope in the first period we rattled up four tries and continued the onslaught in the second half with a further five.

Fly-half Paul Hawkins, winger Ben Jackson and flanker Tom Luxmore each bagged a brace and there was one apiece for Shannon Bloye, Luke Cooper and Gav Down. Sam Ronchetti with three conversions and Andy Pennington with one, completed the scoring.

The Colts bid for a place in the Colts final is all but over having suffered two successive defeats, at Ivybridge 3-53 and at home against Barnstaple 3-17.

Fly-half Josh Davey landed a penalty in each game. In fairness we did extremely well to be in the top six clubs that formed the Cup competition.

Unfortunately, for various reasons, we were seldom able to field the full strength side although we are the only Devon side that has defeated Ivybridge this season which proved just what we are capable of when everyone is available.

Paul Harris

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C